Monday 6 October 2014

Park life

Green space has always been important to me. I grew up in the Gloucestershire countryside surrounded by hills and lush green fields, and even in London, I was fortunate enough to either live near an amazing park or to have a garden of my own.

Now I'm lucky enough to live near heathland, but also to be within 10 minutes of two lovely parks – Poole and Upton. Today I'm just going to be writing about the former, simply because I had a rather nice time there in the autumn sunshine on Saturday afternoon!

Poole Park is one of those parks that has something for everyone - no matter what age you are. From soft play to ducks to bowls to tennis to water sports to a mini train, it has it all. But it's also just a nice place to simply go for a walk (mums – there's a rather nice circuit round the lake that's good for buggies and takes about 45 minutes at a leisurely pace). It's the sort of place that everyone flocks to when the weather gets warm, but it never actually feels that busy (except for when you're trying to find a parking space. And the ones near the soft play all get snatched up and are teeny. That's one of my few complaints!). Incidentally, parking is free. Another bonus!

So on Saturday, we headed for ice cream, a play in the park, fed the ducks, had a walk and collected conkers (one of my fave things about autumn, although I never know what to do with them after collection. Any tips?). It was a lovely warm afternoon after a wet start to the day and watching the sun glint off the lake was just beautiful. It was one of those moments that just reminded me why I left London and why I love Dorset.





No comments:

Post a Comment