Wednesday 22 October 2014

1 is FUN!

It's been a busy few days at Dorset Mummy Towers with D2's first birthday celebrations taking up most of my free hours and energy. It's hard to believe that this time last year I was mum to a gorgeous teeny-tiny newborn and now I have a walking toddler on my hands who is sure showing her independent streak.

Obviously the first birthday is a massive occasion and a very special one – and I don't mean just for the child. It's a huge achievement for any parent to get through that tricksy first year, so hubby and I quite rightly gave ourselves a pat on the back for successfully guiding a child through those first 12 months (for the second time, yippee!) without causing anyone lasting harm… And that's something us parents should do more often - we spend so long celebrating our children's achievements that we forget about our own. So take some time in the next week or so to give yourselves a reward for doing a blooming good job because this parenting malarkey isn't always easy.

Now, the other thing about birthdays is the fact that I get to do one of my favourite things - baaaaakkkkkkeeeee! If the writing career ever goes south, my other dream is to bake for a living. OK, I'm no GBBO contender, but I can make a mean sponge. And when I was pregnant with D1, I swore to myself that I would ALWAYS make my children's birthday cakes…

So D2 was supposed to get a rainbow cake, but colouring the sponge just made two of them quite dense and 'claggy' (love that word!). So my rainbow cake turned into one layer of pink sponge, one normal, one purple, one normal, sandwiched together with strawberry jam and a pink buttercream. I then covered the sponge in buttercream and decorated the outside with chocolate fingers, Smarties and a bit of sparkle, all tied up in a pretty pink bow!

And thankfully, it tasted blimmin' yummy! My only complaint about birthdays is just how shattering they can be - for everyone! 

I'd love to hear what makes birthdays special for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment