Monday 23 March 2015

Me Time

Like most mummies, I spend a lot of my time – and energy – making sure everyone around me is fed, clothed, watered, nurtured, happy, clean, comfortable, provided for… The list goes on. And like most mummies, this leaves me with very little time to look after myself.

So you can imagine my delight when I got to enjoy not only an hour to myself – but an hour enjoying a relaxing hot stone massage at that! 

I've never had a hot stone massage before – not for want of trying. The first time I had to cancel after discovering I was pregnant, the second time the spa I was at had a power cut and couldn't heat the stones! But thanks to Paula, owner of Garden Room Therapies in Ferndown, I now know that my first hot stone massage won't be my last. 

Yes, I know, having hot stones placed over your body doesn't sound like the most relaxing experience ever, but trust me. It is. The heat of the stones helps to relax the body in a short space of time, which releases tension and boosts circulation. Combined with soothing oils and colder stones, it's also good for relieving pain and reducing stress. Sounds like a winning combination to me.

Paula's therapy room is at the back of her home and as you'd expect, it's a calming space, filled with light and soft music. Paula is a multi-talented masseur and her professional qualifications are proudly displayed. She exudes a calm, confident manner that instantly puts you at ease and under her expert hands, I could feel my tensions melting away. Unfortunately parental duties meant I couldn't enjoy a full 90 minutes, but Paula was extremely accommodating, conscious of my time constraints and ensured I walked out of her house a hell of a lot less stressed than I was when I walked in.

But hot stones aren't just for stressed-out, exhausted mummies - a massage with them can also help muscular pain, rheumatic conditions, fibromyalgia, back pain and insomnia. 

And hot stones aren't the only massage Garden Room Therapies offer. Paula's hands can also work their magic with Swedish, deep tissue, pregnancy and aromatherapy massages as well as Shiatsu and Reiki. 

A 90-minute hot stone massage costs £20 – blue light workers and senior citizens can get a discount too.

To find out more, see https://www.facebook.com/shiatsubodywork

No comments:

Post a Comment