Wednesday 10 December 2014

It's panto time! Oh yes it is!


If there’s one thing guaranteed to bring a smile to your face on a wet and windy winter’s night, it’s a trip to the panto. I haven’t watched a pantomime since I was a child, but after last night, I’ll be making sure I won’t miss another.

Christmas and pantomimes go hand in hand – they’re a wonderful family tradition that lets everyone remember not to take life too seriously. But there’s a recipe that a panto must follow – it has to have romance, a baddie, slapstick, comic sidekicks, a sprinkling of fairy magic, singing, dancing and, of course, audience participation. And Robin Hood at Lighthouse, Poole, ticked all these boxes.

So the story goes like this. The dashing outlaw Robin Hood is stealing from the rich to give to the poor, while the dastardly Sheriff of Nottingham (Boo! Hiss!) is plotting to kidnap Maid Marian and force her to marry him so he can inherit her money, whilst also planning his revenge on Robin, his sworn enemy.  What you don’t expect in this tale is nods to Riverdance, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and songs by One Direction and Taylor Swift. Yes, really!
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen…

But a story’s nothing without a good cast to support it, and credit must be given to last night’s stars. CBBC favourite Ed Petrie was on fine form as Robin, while Patrick Kane was superb as the villainous Sheriff. The female leads – Alicia Woodhouse as Maid Marian and Stephanie Walker as Mary The Fairy  – shone for their singing and dancing skills respectively (and their pretty, sparkly costumes). But let’s not forgot the supporting cast – those guys and girls can sing, dance, change costumes in a flash and the smiles never left their faces!

And it didn’t leave mine either. I laughed at all the terrible jokes and at the silly bits of slapstick. Hilariously, the cast laughed too – at times they couldn’t keep a straight face, which just made the audience laugh even harder. I booed and hissed, I chorused “Oh no it isn’t” and “Behind you”! I sang (badly!), I danced. I immersed myself fully in the panto experience. And I loved it!

But don’t just take my word for it. Get yourself a ticket and go see for yourself!

Robin Hood is on at Lighthouse, Poole, from now until Sunday 4 January. For more information or to book tickets, call 0844 406 8666 or visit www.lighthousepoole.co.uk


Shiny! 

Photos by David Stroud and Hattie Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment