Thursday 20 November 2014

Domestic goddess or slummy mummy?

It's been a busy time at Dorset Mummy Towers, what with Christmas fast approaching, the daily school run, swimming lessons, decorating.... It's a wonder household tasks actually get done at all! 

And let's be honest. Those tasks just go on and on and on. No sooner has the washing basket been cleared then it starts to fill up again. Same for the washing up. There's always cleaning to be done, the school uniform to be ironed, tea to be cooked. I'm exhausted just thinking about it!

And here's the worst thing. I am not a natural domestic. I love cooking and baking, but I hate washing up. I like wearing my clothes, but I get bored of washing them and I cannot stand ironing them. I NEVER iron. Except now I have to because the school uniform seems to get more creased than anything else....

Don't get me wrong, I am house proud, I don't live in a dust-infested hovel, but I just think there are so many more interesting things I could do with my time. Like painting my nails. Painting my walls. Watching TV...

Speaking of which, if anyone has seen Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners, then you'll appreciate just how much time gets wasted cleaning. Have you seen it? Those people like cleaning so much, they hoover their gardens, wash their cats (mine would freak if I put him anywhere near a bath!) and use litres and litres of bleach. And don't get me started on the lady who gave her kids a Dettol bath once a week... And at the end of the day, they may have a spotless house, but they haven't achieved much else.

Homes are meant to be lived in, just like kids are meant to get messy. I like my house to feel homely and comfortable - and I want visitors to feel at home too. So next time you're at mine, keep your shoes on, drop crumbs on the floor and relax. Because that's what I intend to do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment