Thursday 11 September 2014

School dazed

It's been a big week in my world as my eldest started school - and it's all been a bit of a whirlwind!

It seems like the whole summer holidays - in fact, probably this whole year - has been spent gearing up to this day, this week. And yet I still didn't feel ready.

There's something so final about a child starting school. From the moment they slip on their uniform, pick up their book bag and step outside for the obligatory shot of themselves outside the front door, they are starting on this wonderful journey that we, as parents, cannot stop. From then on, somebody else has a say in what our child learns, studies, writes, reads… Even what they eat, thanks to the new hot meals initiative (which is a wonderful thing, don't get me wrong. I am certainly enjoying not having to make up a lunchbox!)

But it's not just the above that that has had me fretting. It's the HUGE impact having a school child has on my life. From now on, my day revolves around the school run and, for the most part, when I go on holiday – and to some extent, where – is dictated to me. And that is incredibly frustrating. And annoying.

Yes, yes, I know that sounds selfish but when you've been used to doing your own thing for rather a long time, it's quite difficult to get back into that sort of routine. It's not that I don't want my daughter to have an education - that is definitely not what I am saying – but I would like some elements to be on my terms.

Incidentally, she's obviously loving school and there's been no tears or tantrums at drop-off time. From either of us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment