Tuesday 28 October 2014

Let me eat cake!

As well as baking cakes, one of my favourite pleasures is going out for tea and cake. It's one of those brilliant British traditions that I embrace wholeheartedly, so I've been enjoying sampling some of the coffee houses of Dorset. And lately I've discovered a couple of gems that I wanted to share with you.

The first is Corfe Coffee in Corfe Mullen, which won me over with its gorgeous coffee fudge cake. I am not a coffee drinker, but I am a lover of anything coffee-flavoured, so a big slice of coffee cake is one of my go-to choices. And I was not disappointed - it was delicious. Moist, sticky, well-flavoured - worth the sugar rush! And at just £2 for the slice, it was friendlier on my purse than it was on my waistline!


As for the venue, it was very similar to how I would run a coffee shop, if the opportunity ever arose. Comfy seating, books and toys for children, a book swap for adults, products to buy and a good, varied menu. Not to mention friendly staff, which is always a bonus in my view! 

There's not a website I can direct you to, but they do have a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Corfe-Coffee/216397928374201). Of course, you can simply pop along to Corfe Mullen and sample them for yourself…

But my cake journey doesn't end in Corfe Mullen, as I've also been fortunate to sample the delights of The Coffee House in Canford Heath. It's very similar in essence to Corfe Coffee but with slightly more of a community feel. There's a giant blackboard with a calendar of local events on it, many of which take place at The Coffee House itself, as well as a community craft table for you to get creative - perhaps you'll be inspired by the work of local artists that adorns the walls! 

The tea was exceptionally good value (I think it was £1.50 for a pot that held at least 3 cups) and was served in a pot with a super-cute tea cosy. We sampled a selection of cakes - lemon, chocolate tiffin and a teacake for the children. All were tasty! But again, don't just take my word for it – head there yourself and check it out! 
http://thecoffeehouse.eu

If you know somewhere that serves great cake and tasty tea, let me know. I'm always on the lookout for new places to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment